Friday 2 November 2007

Grease is the word in the south

I'm getting ready for the opening night of the musical Grease in Mosgiel (just out of Dunedin). It's being staged by Taieri Musical Society, although the majority of the cast and crew come from Dunedin city.

The show started rehearsals in early September while I was still overseas on a month's vacation, but I was able to get a cameo role which I slotted into when I got back home again.

It's quite a different production from the revival version of Grease the Musical which I saw with Rachael and Anne on Broadway recently. The leads for that show - Max Crumm and Laura Osnes - won their starring roles as Danny & Sandy after competing on the US TV show "Grease: You're the One that I Want".

The new Broadway production of Grease, directed by Kathleen Marshall stays fairly true to the original, with the addition of the popular songs from the hit movie (Grease is the Word, You're The One That I Want, Hopelessly Devoted to You, and Sandy.
(The New Broadway Cast Recording of Grease, featuring Max Crumm and Laura Osnes and the Broadway revival cast, is now out on CD).

Here's something a little different though... West End and Broadway star Denise Van Outen (who co-hosted the US version of the TV talent hunt) leading this very sexy modern remix of Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee, featuring a few other favourite Grease tunes...


Posted in |

0 comments: