Sunday 6 July 2008

Amazing American Cuisine (USA's best kept secret)

A certain Mr Farrier has tracked down a 10 list of (some of) the best American cuisine of all time, namely The Top 10 Foods Only America Could Have Invented...

When it comes to food, America gets a bad rap. It’s a common refrain that America has no cuisine to call our own. We’ve got apple pie and hot dogs, but that’s about it...

But the truth is, America does have a cuisine to call it’s own. Over the past 232 years we’ve invented some of the most creative, daring, and yes, downright craziest dishes the world has ever seen.

Sure, they can be overly greasy, a little too cheesy, and sometimes fried a few times too many. But they’re ours.

So to celebrate Independence Day, we’ve put together this list of the best foods that only a country with just the right combination of greed, grit, and gluttony could have possibly dreamed up.
My favourites (and the ones I try to have every trip to the United States) are #10. Corn Dog (a summer camp staple), #9. Philly Cheesesteak (thanks to little Bill at Appel Farm camp for that one), #7. S'mores (another amazing invention I was introduced to at Appel Farm), and #1. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream.

While I can do without the battered deep fried veges (thanks Stagedoor Manor ;-), I do have a number of other essential American tastes I make sure I never miss when I'm over there...
Taco Bell is always on the list, along with Midnight Milky Way Bars (that's a dark chocolate Mars Bar to non-US people), and Ben & Jerry's Ice cream (particularly the Phish Food flavour - again, thanks to little Bill for introducing kiwi Joe and I to that one... "Chocolate Ice Cream, Marshmallow, Caramel & Chocolatey Chunks!!").

Aw, just look at what I'm missing out on with being stuck in snowy New Zealand this winter, when I could be sampling this awesomely unique cuisine in sunny North America!

* Endless Summer: The Top 10 Foods Only America Could Have Invented

Posted in |

1 comments:

  1. Just my opinion Says:

    Mate, Ben and Jerrys are over here and each year they have a huge free ice cream festival... as in a bunch of bands and free ice cream. It's a great day out, am going for the 3rd time this year. All their flavours are great, I'd almost say they are the most friendly "big" company I have ever had experience with :)